Braised Beef Short Rib Tacos with Salsa and Avocado (With Beer!)
In preparation of Cinco de Mayo, we’ve come to the conclusion that tacos should (read: must) be at least a bi-weekly occurrence. Taco Tuesday simply isn’t enough. And it’s all because of these tacos. Short ribs are braised for a few hours with plenty of garlic, dark beer, and La Fundidora Humo Salsa which has deep, smoky notes thanks to chipotle peppers and pasilla chiles. Once the fall-off-the-bone meat gets tucked inside a warm, soft tortilla and is dressed with avocado, red onion, cilantro, and lime, you’ll understand. Tacos all day, everyday.
- 6-8 beef short ribs
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 cups beef stock
- 16 oz. bottle dark beer
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup La Fundidora Humo Salsa
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Flour tortillas
- 1 or 2 avocados, sliced, for garnish
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Red onion, finely diced, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Generously salt and pepper all sides of the short ribs. Heat oil in a heavy bottom Dutch oven over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ribs (you may need to do this in batches) and brown all sides of the ribs. Once they are nice and dark brown, remove them to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions and whole garlic cloves, stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes. Add beer to deglaze the pan, scraping off any bits that have formed on the bottom of the pot. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes then add in La Fundidora Humo Salsa and beef stock. Return the ribs to the pan and turn the heat to high. Bring it to a boil then cover and place in oven and bake for 3 hours.
- Leave the meat in the braising liquid until ready to serve. When ready, remove the ribs from the liquid and using a fork or tongs, remove the meat from the bone. Gently shred the meat and taste for seasoning.
- To serve, take a flour tortilla, add some of the shredded beef, a few slices of avocado, red onion, and cilantro. Squeeze some lime juice on top and enjoy!